Tuesday, September 4, 2012

ANGELS ALL AROUND ME by Joan Morrone - Testimony Tuesday

Do you like angel stories? Most people do. After I do some 
Source:  ifcj.org
heavy writing, I need to write something on the lighter side to lift my spirit and hopefully yours, too. I will tell you a few stories about “angels” in my life. I will not be talking about angels in shimmering white robes and wings. I’ve never seen any of those. My angels are those who have helped me along the way just as I was about to fall. They came just in time to pick me up and guide me. 

One meaning for angel in the Webster dictionary is “a guiding spirit or influence.” In Strong’s Concordance, one meaning is “to dispatch as a deputy.” Deputy is a person appointed to act as an assistant to another. One or more may have been angels dressed like real people. These last are the ones in Hebrews 13:2 “Be not forgetful to entertain strangers for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” 

Also when I look back I see people standing on the sidelines. These are those who were there for me when the chips were down. I did not appreciate them like I should at the time. I can see now that I was never alone. I didn't even know jesus at some of those times. 

Source: gbcdecatur.org
My favorite was a little old bag lady. She was dirty, unkempt and foul smelling. She came into the place I worked as a waitress. She was put at my table. I waited on her, smiling as I did. I try to treat everyone the same. She invited me to sit down and eat with her. I said I was sorry but we weren’t allowed. I brought her food and then got busy. 

Later I looked and she was gone. As I began to clean the table up, I saw a bill folded neatly under the cup. It was a $100 bill! The really amazing thing is that was exactly what I needed to pay my rent. (I was a Christian by then.) There is a lot more to the story but I’ll leave it at that. I know, without a doubt that if I would have been nasty with her, I would never have gotten the money. God knows how to handle a situation!

Another angel in people’s clothing was a little old lady at my bus stop. I rode the bus home and realized I didn’t have my package. I told my husband I was going back to get it. He said it would never be there. It was a bad area and people have gotten mugged there. The bus came by just as I got out the door. This was no mere coincidence. When I got to the stop, there was this sweet old lady, holding my bag as nice as you please. 

Walking toward her, she smiled and said she knew I’d be back. How did she know it was mine? She stood up to leave before I could thank her but I was able to ask her name. She looked astonished and hesitated before she said: “Pearl”. She took off like a scared rabbit and disappeared! All I could think of was “Pearl of great price”; Pearl was a name she made up in a second.

Angel # 3 appeared in New York. My second husband and I were on our honeymoon. Circumstances forced us to go to Long Island to visit his aunt. Coming back to Penn. Station had us stumped. Which train should we take and what side of the track? We were not seasoned travelers. As we puzzled over it, a pleasant looking man, dressed in a well worn but neat suit, tapped me on the shoulder and asked if he could help us. He got us to the right train and disappeared. We got off in the big city and were lost for the second time. Which door do we go out to get a taxi to take us to the airport? Out of 1000’s of people, the same man tapped me on the shoulder once more. “May I help you again?” I thank God often for His angels who come along when I need them!


Source:  foodnflix.blogspot.com
At the same restaurant where I saw the bag lady, I waited on a man at the counter where I worked. I was talking to a lady about an art course I was taking. The man began to talk to me. He was an artist. He came in the next day and gave me the basic paints and a couple good brushes. My co-worker said he had been coming in for about 15 years and he never spoke to any one. Why me? One day I got talking to him about the Bible. He said he didn’t understand it. I told him that I would write some scriptures and try to explain them to him. He told me to make them simple. 

One evening he was there when I wasn’t busy. I must have “preached” to him for about a half hour. He seemed to enjoy the stories. When he was leaving, he said: “Thanks for the Mini-Sermons.” That is when I began to write regularly and seriously. He was one of my guiding angels and strong influence. Then he slowly slipped out of my sight, only to appear when I would get discouraged. Haven’t seen him since!

This will be my last story. After my first husband divorced me to marry someone else, I was determined I was not going to let it get the best of me. I was going to go out and have a good time. I wasn’t saved yet. A girl I worked with asked me to go out with her after work. She wanted me to meet this “nice” guy. I wasn’t aware it could be dangerous. I agreed. On my way home at 11 P.M. to change clothes, I had this feeling I shouldn’t go. I called my friend and said I changed my mind. She put the guy on. He sweet talked me into saying I would go. He wanted to meet me. I was innocent of the ways of the world. I was pretty protected from it most of my life. 

I got changed and on my way to the meeting place. Half way there, it felt like some one grabbed my steering wheel and sent me back home! I asked the girl the next day how it went. She didn’t know because she didn’t go either. Then I got the shocker. The guy I was supposed to meet was arrested for assault and battery, carrying a concealed weapon, drug charges and his wife was suing him for divorce. 

God was looking out for me even then. He knew where I would be today. Who knows what would have happened to me if I did go. I could have been in jail as an accomplice, or raped and possibly murdered. My whole life could have been ruined completely. I didn’t deserve God’s care but I got it! God is awesome.

I have more “angel” stories but I’ll let it go at that. Hope this has encouraged you to believe God has angels all around us to look out for us when we can’t look out for ourselves. 

God bless you.



No comments:

Post a Comment