Thursday, May 30, 2013

In Loving Memory of Joyce E. Adejumo

Publisher's Note: On May 27, 2013, Joyce E. Adejumo passed away.  This post is in memory of this amazing woman.


In January 2012, I had the pleasure of meeting businesswoman and community leader Joyce E. Adejumo. We met at her store, Mitchie’s Gallery, when I brought my dad, who had been visiting to New York.  Always a supporter of black businesses, I knew my dad would enjoy shopping at Mitchie’s. During our shopping excursion, I conversed with Ms. Adejumo for close to an hour. It was sure a pleasure speaking with her.  We talked about politics, the community, God, and of course, her son, Mitchie.

One of the items I purchased was a book of prayers that Ms. Adejumo had authored. It felt only fitting that Ms. Adejumo was a Christian woman with great faith.  Knowing a little bit about her son’s life story, and how she  had fought so hard to spread the word against drunk driving and had built her business so that she take care of her paraplegic child, it only made sense that she believed in God.  

I could tell by that brief encounter that she was a special woman.  In February 2012 I looked forward to attending the fundraiser to keep Mitchie’s Gallery open.  The night of the fundraiser was amazing.  It was obvious from all the attendees there that Ms. Adejumo held a special place in the hearts of the African American community of Austin.   

Shortly afterward I asked Ms. Adejumo for permission to publish prayers from her book.  And she graciously agreed. February 7, 2012 was the day I started publishing her prayers at New Life Today Blog.  It has been such an honor to share 5 of her prayers on this blog since that time. 

Ms. Adejumo, you may have gone on to glory, but you will never be forgotten.  Your voice will continue to speak to all who listen and read your prayers. 

Below is the first prayer of Ms. Adejumo’s that I posted. Ironically, it is entitled The Day and Hour Unknown.

Father in Heaven, thank You for waking me up this morning and
giving me another day to praise Your Name.
I do not know the day You will take me home, Father,
but I do know I want to go home with You on that day.

Teach me humility,
so that I walk with You and live a life that is pleasing in Your eyes.
I want to have an unbroken relationship with You, Father.
Thank You, for everlasting life.
In Jesus' Name.
Amen.

My Daily Prayers: Spiritual Words of Wisdom, Volume I, Page 13






No comments:

Post a Comment