Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Testimonial Tuesday - Be Strong by Min. Michelle Goodwine



Often the perception that people have of domestic violence victims and survivors is that we are weak.  Most of the times we even have that same impression of ourselves.  And because of that misperception we remain in an abusive relationship.  We wrongly belief that we are too weak to leave-too weak to live on our own--too weak to raise our children by ourselves.  But those are all false statements.   God wanted me to tell all those domestic violence victims who believe they are too weak to become survivors and move on with their lives to be strong.

My testimonial today is that I once thought all of those false beliefs. But now I know the truth.  The reality is that whatever I lack in strength, God provides.  The truth is that is takes a great deal of strength to live as a victim in an abusive relationship.  People don't understand the level of tenacity it takes to be in a relationship with someone whose moods are unpredictable - who can go from happy to hateful in a matter of minutes. But God does not want us to live that lifestyle.  His word says that "Love is kind."  God does not want us to live a miserable life.

How do I know?  Because I survived a very abusive relationship.  And my testimony is that God will give you the strength that you need to leave.  When I finally had enough of the abuse, and decided I had no choice but to leave, God gave me the strength.  My daughter and I moved over 2000 to a place we had never been to escape.  When we arrived in this strange city, we did not have a place to live, I did not have a job, and we knew no one.

I am glad to report that four years later our lives are so much better.  Not only have we survived - but thrived.  I am proud to report that my daughter graduated high school 1 1/2 years early, and started college one day after completing her high school graduation requirements. We have friends and a church family we love.  In fact, two years ago I became a minister.  Every day I try to use my life experiences to help others.  God gave me the test of domestic violence survivors as my testimony.  And I am grateful to God for blessing and keeping me. Although it hasn't been easy, through God, all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment